Friday, November 13, 2009

The Making of an Architect - First Day in College

It was my first day in college. I had lot of expectations as every young person will have on his/her first college day. We had to complete lot of formalities related to college & hostel accommodation. So on very first day we were kind of running around the campus to get things done. Our batch was first in the Department of Architecture and our admissions were late by almost two months. Classes of other branches were already going on.

After spending few hours in the college, I started get little uncomfortable with the vibes around especially those coming from our batch mates of other branches. A no. of times, I noticed that many students were dressed up quite differently than the others and they were walking in a straight line with their heads down and saying good morning sir , good afternoon sir , to everyone passing nearby, as if, they don’t want to miss on even a single person. Soon I started to understand that all these students behaving so differently were freshers (Jangus, to be technically corrects – as they are called). Situation became rather difficult for me when I realized that my status was also not better than them and I will have to behave the same way in coming days and may be for many months.

Now you can very well understand my condition. So, all the nice expectations of the college life were dashed to the ground on very first day. It became much clearer when I started getting stares from all around by the evening for my seemingly normal dress and hairstyle. And as expected, a message was passed on - to behave like freshers (like fresher means dressed in white shirt hanging out, simple trouser but no jeans, with bathroom sleepers on, Zero haircut, clean shave with no moustache, walking with head down - eyes at third button, no chit-chat with girls even of your own class at least in front of seniors) otherwise, be ready to face consequences.

Meanwhile, we all classmates started to interact and intermingle though the circumstances were not favourable. All of us were worried about the same thing – what is going to happen in coming days? By evening I had realized that first few days or even months are not going to be the like I had thought. Finally, we were allotted rooms, and we were happy that we were allotted rooms in an isolated block and that too on top floor besides resident warden’s room. I heaved a sigh of relief after thinking that seniors would hardly dare to come here fearing warden presence. But it was not to be like that.

Around 7:30 p.m. in the evening there was a knock on the door. We were three people in the room Jakie, Samy and myself. Someone opened the door. There were two seniors. All three of us jumped and shouted almost simultaneously,” Good Evening, Sir” with our heads down.

There was no response. A dangerous silence was sweeping across the room. One of them asked to call all Architecture freshers. Jakie ran like as if he was running for an Olympic medal. Within no time all Jangus of Architecture were paraded in front of them. Then, the session started with slapping, kicking, and with sermons of the kind I had never heard of. I was wearing a nice night suit. One of the seniors shouted at me to take that dress off and be like a Jangu.

Finally we were given a long list of instructions and assignments to be completed by next morning. We were also asked about NIT literature. Yes you are right…..absolutely right in reading……LITERATURE. Generally all professional colleges have literature of their own which every fresher has to learn by heart and so do have NITs. Literature included NIT song, NIT anthem, and NIT Dohas etc. I am sorry, I can’t write them here for some obvious reasons but a true NITian should know all the literature by heart, for, you could be asked any time even on dinner table when it is least expected. Yes, I was asked once on dinner table and it was so embarrassing that I could hardly eat after that. So after some time seniors left our room and we headed towards dinning hall. But after having and digesting so much, dinner was just a formality and I could not remember what did I eat. After dinner we all were busy in writing assignments and copying the literature. We could go to bed sometime in the early morning hours.

…………………………......…so that was first day in college……………………..…............................

1 comment:

Vijay Sharma said...

good one dude, Go ahead and tell us about 2nd, 3rd...........days of your college.

its not just a architect that college made you but a writer as well.